Thursday 3 November 2016

Deploying Master Data Services (MDS) Models using VSTS!

If you need to know how and why and what when it comes to MDS model deployment then this article is the best I have read to help you understand the basics: http://www.sqlchick.com/entries/2015/3/16/how-to-deploy-master-data-services-models-between-environments

However, what it doesn't cover is how to get a Build or Release engine like VSTS to deploy the models remotely. Fortunately VSTS provides a PowerShell on Target Machines Build Task that enables us to execute the MDSModelDeploy.exe command remotely.

I have a PowerShell script in my TFS repository that I copy to the target machine using a Copy Files Build Task and then invoke that script using the PowerShell on Target Machines task.


Now all I need to do is figure out why PS-Remoting is not working on my MDS servers...oh well, next blog post dudes :-)

1 comment: